designer and researcher

Precarious Cut: Reverse engineered zero-waste garment

From garment to pattern

From garment to pattern

Inspired by Timo’s explanation of his awesome hoody I thought i would try my hand at a visual explanation of the construction of the checked coat.

Is it enough?

Advertisements

9 responses

1. Awesome, Holly! As for is it enough, depends on the audience I guess; I certainly think it is. I saw a comment somewhere online about my hoodie, that my “instructions” weren’t clear enough. The person was a sewing enthusiast. Nothing wrong with that but I only try to explain it to other designers at this point. In that respect, yours does the job beautifully.

September 17, 2009 at 2:56 am

2. I came across your site by way of Fashion-Incubator and have to say that jacket is FABULOUS!!! The drawings are amazing and the engineering mind boggling. Great job! Did you have this made or did you sew it yourself? I can’t imagine trying to explain how it fits together to someone, but either way the coat looks awesome.

September 22, 2009 at 5:05 pm

• hollymcquillan

Thanks! I made it myself. There is 28 meters of bias binging tape to finish the edges… needless to say it took a while. With better labeling on the pattern i’m sure someone else could make it. I’m hoping to make some of my patterns downloadable for others to use, I need to make the instructions clearer first!

September 22, 2009 at 9:08 pm

3. I don’t know If I said it already but …Cool site, love the info. I do a lot of research online on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks, 🙂

A definite great read..Jim Bean

October 1, 2009 at 5:42 pm

4. Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again – taking your feeds too now, Thanks. 🙂

October 6, 2009 at 10:04 pm

5. I would really like to sew your pattern, I think the jacket is stunning! The design is brilliant! A pattern download would really make things easier, please email me in case it will be available. Thanks you so much, this is so inspiring!

November 13, 2009 at 3:18 pm

• hollymcquillan

Hi Mirela
      By all means do! I haven’t got a down-loadable pattern available online yet (something I’m working on) – but there is a good sized image of the pattern you can save from here https://precariousdesign.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/precariouscutpattern.jpg

You can use the measurements given at the bottom right of the pattern to work out how much to enlarge it. Once enlarged it fits a NZ size 12/14 as is (I think thats about a size 8/10 US?), but you can alter it’s size up and down one size by overlapping the side and front/back extension more or less and adjusting the gather in the sleeve to accommodate the reduced armhole size.

The design is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

November 24, 2009 at 1:01 am

6. hollymcquillan

Oh and please post a photo somewhere for me admire!

November 24, 2009 at 1:03 am